More than just Paris
Unless you’re in our local church, you probably don’t know that in addition to preparing to move to France in January, we’re also leading a team of young people to France, in July, for a 10-day missions trip. Although I’ve entitled today’s post “Paris in July” it’s really Châtellerault and Paris in July… with a few more awesome stops along the way.
We’ll be known as #MPTeamFrance
(where MP = Mission Point, our home church)
Perhaps… but it’s “hashtag-able” and isn’t it all about hashtags nowadays? After all the twitter invention is now key to huge social media players like Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and even Facebook, which integrated them in June 2013 since users were using them anyway.
Hashtags are powerful because they allow users to follow public conversations outside of their own network of friends. Whichever of the above-mentioned platforms you use, come July there will likely be a steady flow of the #MPTeamFrance hashtag as team-members share their experiences and photos with family & friends back home.
Because we will be involved in ministry on various levels this summer, it was important to plan some prep-times… when we could focus on:
- sharing information on travel arrangements, timetable & activities
- planning roles, responsibilities & involvement
- gaining interaction experience… a.k.a. team-building (just because we all attend the same church, we don’t take for granted that we automatically know how to work together).
- praying together
- Preparing testimonies & music, to be shared in service settings
We call these prep-times FX-Nights.
Last night was our second one and among other things,we had to breathe life into those that were still hyperventilating from FX#1, when we told the team that they could only bring a carry-on sized suitcase each as well as a personal item (Stopping to think though… it can’t be about how much an individual is able to carry… but how much we can fit into the cars once in France, and 26 pieces is already a lot!). So one of the things we did last night was show them just how much you can put in a small suitcase, when done efficiently.
One of the main ways that we expect to be able to lend support to the Châtellerault church, once on site, is by helping prepare for and distribute several thousand invitations to a gospel music concert that they are currently organizing. This will be the first time that outreach on this scale will be attempted in Châtellerault and we expect it to accomplish the following:
- Build awareness of the church among thousands of local and regional residents
- Provide an opportunity for those same residents to experience anointed worship in a Holy Ghost-filled atmosphere
- Build a foundation for contact with those in attendance
- Obtain Home Bible Study opportunities with hungry individuals that would desire.
Overall… our goal is to put the local church in touch with a much larger number of contacts than would normally be possible, from which they may obtain followup opportunities for later in the summer / year.
Who knows… when Liz & I get onsite in January, we may get to be involved with someone whose first contact with the church was during this summer’s outreach!
If that’s the case, it may be part of God establishing the “Crown” around Châtellerault, like he said he would.
We will also spend a bit of time in the Paris region, with the church in Melun, but plans are still being formulated for that leg of the journey…. more to follow!
One of the other great things about this summer’s trip is that it gives more people from home a first-hand experience with the field in which we’ll be working.
- When they pray for us… they’ll do so with personal experience.
- When victories are won spiritually…. they can know that they were part of it.
- When others wonder about us, the work, the field… they can help educate others.
More to come
You’ll likely hear more about this trip as we get closer, and certainly when we’re there, but for now know that it’s one more way that the Lord is working out his calling in our life. I’m so jazzed for the team that we have preparing to go… Great things are in store #MPTeamFrance.
As always… thanks for stopping by!
What about you?
- Do you think YOU could do 10-days abroad with only a carry-on sized suitcase?
- Have you done it already?
- Tell me about it in the comments section below. (Your comments could encourage & inspire the team… of course your horror stories would be fun to read too.)