A week or so ago I posted a pic on Facebook that got a lot of response… did you see it? It was the pic of cow tongue … something that is readily available in grocery stores here and is considered a delicacy by many.
Don’t worry… we left it there! However we did discover two flavours of Lays potato chips that have our mouth watering whenever we pick up a bag… Cheeseburger and Mustard Pickles.
It’s almost creepy how much they taste like cheeseburgers!
(or maybe it’s just that we’re in withdrawal!?)
Have you ever found that, amidst change, there is that element of change that you anticipate and the element of change that kind of catches you a bit off guard? It’s pretty normal in all situations of change and we’ve experienced it.
- Groceries – you know how, in your local grocery store, you can just “pop in” and get something really quickly? Doesn’t happen here. We’re still learning the layout of the stores that we go to most often, the brand names and which products are the closest equivalent to home.
- Car-space – 4 words…. Narrow roads, fast drivers. Back when the French all drove cars like this… no problem, but as cars grew and schedules got tighter… driving became a bit more intimidating… (sometime I’ll post a pic of a parking lot I regularly use)… it’s a little like holding your breath every time you pass someone. (Now that I look at it… THIS car could be OUR car’s great grandfather!)
- Personal space – The house that we’re living in has an open concept so, apart from the bedrooms and washrooms we all pretty much live in the same space – homeschool, meal prep, working, reading & thinking….. er…. uh…. sometimes thinking is a problem. 🙂
(This is only a temporary thing and will change at the end of the month when we move into the Brochus home)
Change… they call it change for a reason…. It can take you off guard and try your patience by times – seriously – but can I tell you the payoff?
Two immediate Payoffs
- Seeing the kids involved in ministry… incredible training… serving as a family.
- Knowing, beyond any shadow of doubt, that we are in the center of God’s will.
There will be other payoffs with time… but we’ve seen these already.
Change in Frequency
Just want to give you a heads-up that going forward I’m only going to publish once per week (each Saturday morning). We don’t have internet at home which makes it difficult to publish 2 posts per week. We typically have to head over to the public library or to a local coffee shop in order to have access and by then, there’s usually a lot to catch up on!
Tomorrow will be our installation service as interim pastor of the work, during the Brochu’s absence. We appreciate your prayers. We’ve been involved in church for a very long time and have no shortage of experience, but still, we’ve never been the one to bear the lion’s share of responsibility – spiritually or materially… first time pastors, can I get an amen?
Here are a couple more pics of our city. Next Saturday I’ll share pics of something a little less beautiful (the kind of creepy yellow hand) as well as some pics of the service tomorrow.
Have a great day all and for those of you back home… Bon Courage! with all the snow you’ve been getting. I can’t even imagine!
You all are precious and God is GREAT!